Bailey versus Potter, Round 2019

Today's writing prompt was the word 'Humanity,' submitted by my lovely friend, Marylou Van de Klundert, who spreads kindness and beautiful humanity wherever she goes (and she goes everywhere!).


I've been thinking a lot about the idea of humanity lately (I suspect many people have), as it seems to me, given all the horrible things going on in the world and some of the vile people in charge of those events, that we've lost ours. Maybe not completely, but to a significant degree.

I looked up the dictionary definition of humanity before I started my timed writing this evening (I often do this. Even though I know what the word means, the definition can give me a different perspective or idea). Of course, 'humanity' has two definitions, the first being "human beings; collective humankind." The second - the one I think of first - is "humanness, benevolence." Synonyms are compassion, kindness, mercy, brotherly love.

Good stuff, right?  

One of my favorite movies is It's a Wonderful Life. As everyone knows, Jimmy Stewart plays the benevolent George Bailey, who, because he's a decent and kind fellow, gives up his dreams in service to his family and the people in his community - his beloved (but stifling) Bedford Falls. But George isn't the character I want to focus on. 

No, I want to talk for a moment about Mr. Potter, the wealthy old curmudgeon who brings George to his knees with a single, calculated, spiteful action. 

Mr. Potter is despised, deservedly so, by the other characters in the film. And he is hated by us, the viewers. Where George is kind and generous, empathetic and full of gentle good humor, Mr. Potter is cruel and stingy. He doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body (which is also lacking a funny bone). He is ugly at its ugliest. But as far I'm concerned, his most appalling quality is the fact that he sees George and his compassionate nature as weak. 

Weakness is "a quality or feature regarded as a disadvantage or fault." Mr. Potter works hard to ensure that his own "strength," which comes from money, control, and a sense of self-importance, makes George's mild manner, gentleness, and generosity appear less-than-advantageous (sounds a wee bit familiar, doesn't it?).

But we don't buy it. Because we know. We know that good wins. Always.

Or, it's supposed to.

A while ago, I saw a meme on Facebook, posted by someone I know. It was derogatory; the language was offensive and derisive. At it's core, it called people who identify as liberal weak. It frustrated me. It made me angry. And it confused me. You see, the reasons given for the label were what I consider to be strengths. They were humanitarian ideas  - compassionate, empathetic actions that many people (yes, especially liberal-minded folk) support; things that would help our fellow humans.

And what could show more strength than reaching down to help up someone who is struggling? 

I was struck suddenly by how - somehow - the idea of being kind and compassionate, merciful and empathetic has become something foul to so many; something to avoid, to deride and ridicule. How did we all go from despising Mr. Potter to so many of us idolizing his present-day counterparts, many of whom are running our governments? How did those people go from appreciating the humanity and goodness displayed by the George Baileys of the world to cheering on and, worse, emulating the bullying, greedy, selfish, narcissistic natures we see in the Mr. Potters?

It's clear to me that for many people, the concept of brotherly love, from which the acts of humanity flow, only applies to those who could actually be their brothers - to those who look like them, speak like them, think, worship, and live just like them. 

And that leaves a whole lot of us out. 

And as long as that's the case, the human race is kind of screwed. 


The most interesting thing for me, especially as an atheist, is that so many of the people who can't seem to muster any compassion or humanity for those different in any way from themselves, call themselves Christians. And do it loudly. Now, it's been a while, but I used to go to church. And I seem to remember that Christ was the kindest, most compassionate person of all... and that he pretty much commanded everyone to be the same. There are a bunch of verses in the Bible with those very instructions. I've read them. There were certainly people who considered Christ weak... but, in my humble opinion, his current followers shouldn't be among them. So why are his orders to show compassion and to exercise humanity so often simply ignored by the people who purport to live according to his teachings?

It seems so simple. 

Clearly it isn't. 

It's really quite the conundrum. 

For the record? In case you missed the end of It's a Wonderful Life, George was rewarded handsomely for his kindness and compassion. It turns out, the good people of Bedford Falls not only respected him, they adored him. And they came through for him when he needed grace; when he needed kindness and compassion and help. 

And Mr. Potter? Well, he wound up much the way he started. Rich and mean. Alone. And despised. 

Understandably.

I don't know how we're going to fare - humanity (in the collective sense), that is - if we continue to lose our humanity (in the 'be good to others' sense). I expect we won't do well. We're not doing well now, that's for certain. And I don't know how to change peoples' hearts. I don't know how to show people who refuse to see that we're all the same - that we are all made of flesh and bone; we all breathe and bleed, and that (unless we're profoundly damaged - and some of us are) we all need the same things; we're all searching for acceptance and belonging, for love and home. 

I don't know how to make us want to understand one another. And that's really what it boils down to, isn't it? Collectively, we don't desire understanding. Well, sort of. We all want to be understood, but we forget that it's a two-way (or ten-way) street. 

I do know, however, that there are many, many people around the world who live with the understanding that we are all connected... that we are all brothers and sisters, even if we don't look or sound or worship or live alike... that greed and selfishness, xenophobia and ugliness will never, ever be better than compassion, generosity, empathy, and love. There will always be those people - no matter how much they're ridiculed - who will work for the betterment of humankind - all of it and not just humans who look like them. 

I'm shooting to be as much like George Bailey as I can. And I'm going to continue to seek out other George Baileys. I know there are a lot of us out there. I have to hope there are more of us than the Mr. Potters. And if the George Baileys of the world unite, organize, and take action, imagine what we can accomplish! 

Quite frankly, I see no other option. 

XO,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Workshop: Binge Reading

Writer's Workshop: There's a Cat on My Head (and Other Stories)

Salad-in-a-Bag