Dissension in the Ranks

Last night, based on a short, relatively benign comment on a friend's Facebook page, I was labeled as someone suffering from "Trump Derangement Syndrome." The person who said it doesn't know me at all and to my knowledge, we've never interacted before. Based on what he said, I think he probably creeped on my FB page, and from the precious little I believe he was able to see, I guess he assumed (and, in fact, actually said) that I had to come to this country in order to find a head of state upon whom I could focus my derangement.

Erm... (also WTF?)

Neither my friend nor I could figure out what on earth he was talking about. My friend told me this person is from the UK but has lived in the US for the past few years. He said this person told him he didn't vote for Trump, nor would he, so his comments (which also referenced cats...?) made even less sense than if he was a die-hard 45 supporter.

(It's possible he drinks.)

For the record, I do believe "Trump Derangement Syndrome" exists... but I think it should be applied to the people who like him, think he's actually God's gift to this country, and genuinely believe he's doing a good job, not to the majority who dislike him and want him out of office. I think the people who dislike him are the ones who are truly paying attention. The ones who support him, with a cult-like dedication, really do come off as deranged. And, in some cases, more than a wee bit dangerous.

But tomato, tomahto, right? Whatevs.

In any case, his comment made me think about the names I've been called because of my political and social views, the insults that have been hurled my way on social media and in-person (and please, make no mistake, I've hurled a few of my own in defense, and sometimes offensively as well. I'm no saint, man). It made me think of how many times I've been told that if I don't like what's happening now, I can just leave the US (note that I've never told anyone that, even during the eight years of "Obama Derangement Syndrome" that many refuse to acknowledge [but mark my word, it definitely existed]. And for the record, I did not think of Obama as a savior. He was not, by any stretch, a perfect president and I criticized him when I felt it was warranted, just as I have criticized every political leader when I felt it was warranted. No one called me deranged then. Go figure).

Basically, I've been told I don't have the right to dissent; that as an American, it is my job to support the president (bearing in mind that rule doesn't seem to apply to all of us, and only seems to be enacted during certain administrations. Hmmm...).

*Cough*Bullshit*Cough*

So then I thought about what does give me the right to dissent, beyond my citizenship and, you know, the Constitution.

It's true that I wasn't born here. I was born in Scotland, to Scottish parents, one of whom was also a US citizen (and one of whom never became one). So I was both American and British at birth and I still quite happily hold both passports (as does my daughter). I was brought to the US when I was a very little girl. Note that I would have been raised in either New Zealand or Australia, but because my brother is deaf, neither country would accept our visa applications. So I was raised here, in the US. I have lived here for over 50 years, in four states, both above and below the Mason-Dixon Line, in large and small cities, and in rural areas. I’ve traveled the US extensively, visiting most states. I’ve driven from Florida to Maine, from Virginia to Arizona, and I’ve visited the Midwest and the west coast numerous times. 

In my travels and my life in general, I've been lucky enough to have met and talked to and worked with and (often) befriended and (sometimes) loved and (occasionally) disliked people from every background, religion, ethnicity, color, socio-economic class, sexual orientation, level of education, and political affiliation imaginable.

Diversity is a beautiful thing. 

I've voted in almost every national election (often while holding my nose), since I became old enough, in most state elections, and, especially recently, in many local elections. While I tend to vote Democrat, I'm registered Independent, and though I've never voted Republican in a national election (I have considered it once or twice), I have crossed over to the right in the odd state and local election if I felt the candidate truly had the best interests of the people as a whole at heart. I have friends and family across the political spectrum – from Trump supporters to Bernie lovers to those who don’t participate in the process at all. My father, whom I loved with my whole heart and respected tremendously, was a die-hard Reagan man. I was raised in a ‘John Birch Society’ conservative environment, though I was encouraged to think for myself (something I'm sure my dad regretted at times). I’ve always tried to stand up for what I believe in and I've defended the rights of others to speak their minds (even when their speech offended me). I've marched for my rights and, more often, for the rights of others. When my daughter was young, I always tried to give her more than just my own political or social view, explaining, to the best of my ability, how and why others think the way they do and how most views have at least some merit, even if we don't agree. I stressed to her over and over that she was not allowed to mirror my views simply because it was easy; that it was imperative for her to learn and research and form her own views, even if they wound up being different from mine (and sometimes they have been). I still encourage her to speak up, but to have her ducks in a row first; to understand and use her privilege, as well as her talents, for the underdog. 

I've worked - and paid US taxes - for 40 years, sometimes (often) holding two and even three jobs at a time. I’ve been employed by large corporations and tiny non-profits, always serving others in some way. I currently work as a social worker, serving disabled and/or disadvantaged people. I’ve nearly always volunteered in my community, again, always serving others, especially children. My family members have served in the US military, and as police officers, firefighters, and EMTs. Service is in our blood. I also surround myself with people who believe service to others is important, and most of my friends work or volunteer in helping roles. 

I've struggled as a single mother, figuring out how to simply raise my daughter on my own, and then get her through university, the annual cost for which is more than my annual salary. And I have cancer – a chronic cancer that will never go away – so I have firsthand (and quite painful) knowledge of our broken healthcare system and the financial ruin that can come with it. 

Although I am not a nationalist or particularly patriotic, not a xenophobe, and I don't think the US is the best place in all the whole wide world, I recognize and am extremely appreciative of and grateful for the freedoms and advantages I have been afforded by growing up and living in the US. 

And all of this - all of my work, all of the taxes I've paid, all of the active participation in my community and in the political process for my entire life - has earned me the right to dissent. I have earned the right to criticize any public official I don't think is acting in the best interests of his/her constituents. I have earned the right to criticize the current president (especially given his complete refusal to acknowledge or accept any criticism from anyone - an incredibly dangerous trait in a leader), and the woefully unqualified administration that is systematically and intentionally destroying this country for the advantage of the very top tier. 


It is not derangement

It is not sour grapes

It is concern

It is concern for my fellow humans – especially for the “least of us” and the children who will be left to pick up the pieces. It is concern for human rights - the rights of all US citizens (not just those who agree with the person who lives in the White House) and those who wish to come here to escape oppression and war and genocide in their own countries. It is concern for the environment and the health of the planet and the protection of its resources. It is concern for the processes and policies and rules of law that are being completely ignored or trampled upon.

Dissent is not only my right, it is my obligation as a citizen. And I will meet it. Unfailingly. Unflinchingly. And loudly. And I will do so until things change for the better.  



And that's all I have to say about that!


XO,




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer's Workshop: Binge Reading

Writer's Workshop: There's a Cat on My Head (and Other Stories)

Salad-in-a-Bag